5 Things To Do In Asheville this Winter
Even though fall is in full swing here in Western North Carolina, it is not too early to start to think ahead to the Christmas Holidays and plan your visit to the area. Here are our top 6 things to do in Asheville, NC this winter.
1. For those of you who love to be outdoors, one of the best things to do in Asheville, NC this winter is go hiking. We are just south enough that you don’t need snow boots but just north enough that there will be consistently cold weather that is perfect for spending some time outside. One of the best and most iconic trails available in Asheville, NC is the Appalachian Trail. Walked where others have walked through history and see some of the best sites of North Carolina.
2. Another fun Asheville activity is going zip lining. Never heard of it? Zip lining is where you are suspended from a line up in the air and you slide down the line and get to see a birds eye view of the beautiful countryside. One fantastic company that has been giving its customers a thrill ride above the trees is Navitat. They show you how to zip along their lines and then guide you through their courses. They have three tours available, Blue Ride Experience, Moody Cove Adventure, and The Ultimate. This is a fun way to spend a few hours in Asheville.
3. One of the most unforgettable things to do in Asheville, NC this winter is to take a drive. There are multiple drives all in and around Asheville that are perfect for those who love lots of thrilling curves, beautiful photo ops, history, or just want to eat your way through Asheville.
4. If you are willing to travel a little outside of Asheville, we have some amazing ski resorts. Most are around an hour or so out of town. Two of the top places to ski is Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain. These two resorts are 30 minutes away from each other and besides skiing, they have tubing, snowboarding and lots of other activities that are perfect for everyone on your trip. If you want to stay local, consider a 30 minute drive to Maggie Valley for a day at the Cataloochee Ski Resort and Tube World.
6. It doesn’t matter when you visit, one of the best things to do in Asheville this winter, or any time, is eat and drink your way through our town. We consider ourselves a “foodtopia” and have culinary treats for any palate. We have local farms that love having their produce featured in many local restaurants, and our chefs are ecstatic to work with local and fresh ingredients. Now, on to the drinking part. For a while now, we have been the craft beer mecca in the South. There are tons of amazing breweries that have consistently concocted great beers year after year. If you like wine, there are also plenty of wineries to choose from as well.
As you can see, there are many things to do in Asheville, NC this winter, as well as year round. This is why Asheville has become a hot destination for many travelers.